| Save Recipe
| Share This Page
| Bookmark This Page
| Amazon Shopping
Queijo Fresco (creamy Milk Cheese) Recipe
Portugese, recipe, recipes, Queijo Fresco (creamy Milk Cheese) Recipe
Rennet tablets;buy a drug store or supermarket
- "This light cheese is traditionally spread on cornbread and served as a midday or after dinner snack with a side order of black olives.
- When goat's milk is substituted for homogenized milk, the cheese takes on a piquant flavor that brings back memories of the goat cheese made in Portugal.
- Make this ahead of time so that the cheese will be spreadable or thick enough to slice.
- Use leftover in cooking as you would ricotta cheese. " Dissolve rennet tables in lukewarm water.
- Combine dissolved tablets and remaining ingredients in a heavy saucepan.
- Using your hands, mix ingredients thoroughly over low heat for about 5 minutes or until mixture is dissolved and lukewarm. (Do not overheat or milk will not curdle. ) Immediately remove from heat, cover and set aside for 2 hours.
- Using knife, cut through cheese in a few places , then set aside for 10 minutes.
- Spoon cream mixture into 3 inch bamboo steam, lined with 2 layers of cheesecloth. (You can also use small baskets or other molds with holes in bottom and sides to allow liquid whey to drain. ) Cover with cheesecloth.
- Place small plate down to force liquid whey out of the soft curds.
- Refrigerate cheese for 24 hours (although it can be eaten after 18 hours if you prefer very soft cheese. ) Drain excess liquid occasionally, especially in the first 2 hours.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- MAKES: ABOUT 4 cups (1 litre)